Monday, August 11, 2008

“Life is either a great adventure or nothing.”Helen Keller

I am back training for my first 100 miler, I am feeling a bit tired but my legs are not hurting any more. Also because of the Sahara Race, I am also doing weights especially upper body since I will be running 250K with a 22lb backpack.

Two amazing ultrarunners are breaking speed records this week. Karl Meltzer is trying to run the entire length of the 2,174-mile Appalachian Trail in less than 47 days.

Here is his latest post.

"When your back is stiff and your legs feel like lead; when and your knees ache and amputation seems like the only way to separate yourself from the throbbing pain in your toe; when you’ve been hiking as fast as you can possibly hike for 45+ miles on some of the most difficult trail you’ve ever traveled (and you’ve traveled some difficult trail); when you’ve been going for more than 15 hours and you’ve climbed nearly 14,000 feet of vertical; when lightning is slicing the rain around you and thunder is yelling at you to get out of its way; when you’ve been outside in the pouring rain and the swallowing mud for days on end and you can only bet on days more of the same ahead; when its dark and you can’t see the trail in front of you or your friend beside you; when you’re hungry, so hungry, and tired, so tired; when your dad is at the trailhead worried and waiting for you anxiously because you’re 2.5 hours behind schedule; when you really just want to be done for the day but to be done you have to keep moving – then you just might be Karl Meltzer."

For the full story click here

Peter Lubbers in four days will be attempting to break Tahoe Rim Trail" current speed record 48 hrs 58 min. If you want to check his progress click here

“It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.”
André Gide:


In other news I am currently the female leader at the Alberta Ultra Series and second over all behind Neil Runnions, the awards ceremony will be held after the Lost Souls 100 mile race, I am 230 points ahead the closest female, even if I don't finish Lost Souls I still have the lead. This has been the most amazing 6 months, I am running because I love the positive influence it has in my life, winning top female of the series will be just the icing on the cake.

The only drawback... ultrarunning is addictive, I am already working on my 2010 schedule!

1 comment:

Journey to a Centum said...

I'm not much of a TV nut but I did get watch some of the Olympics on CBC. Missed both marathons but did get to see Simon Whitfield's race. The mens tri had such a close field. It really came down to guts and it seemed to help if you were smaller in stature on that hot day.

I enjoyed your comments

Cheers!