Saturday, April 9, 2011

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. ~Mark Twain

I been thinking lots about why i persue time consuming and diffuclt paths since really nobody is watching all the time, why not just skip a work out or eat poorly? we have the life that we deserve, happines and kindness attracts that, more happiness and kindness.
I am working on the most difficult job because it has a very superficial angle, yet i work with people sometimes 20 years my senior and i feel right at home, i am very comfortable with who i am.

There are a few reasons of why living a healthy life is worth it.

From age 25 to age 30 i wore glasses full time, with time as i took better care of myself, it progressed to only for reading or driving until i stop wearing them al together, in my last eye exam a month ago i was told my vision is 20/20

I am 43 and turning 44 this year, my skin is healthy and hardly feel the need to wear make up

, not Halle Berry but so much better than famous party girl Lindsey Lohan's skin)

I was dignossed with depressions in my teens and early twenties and had lots of health problems that couldn't be diagnosed, most doctors attibuted it to genetics ( daugter of an alcoholic and raised in poverty), finally one smart Doctor told me that it was my lifestyle that unless i changed it was only getting worse. It has been 20 years since the last time i had to say in bed because of stress or depression, or had to self medicate with alcohol or cigarets, and except for my Mexican temper that shows up once in a while( i am soo not a pushover) i am very happy, genuinely, deep in my core happy.

I have deep and meaninful relationships with people close to me, my kids, family and friends. Kindness brings internal and external peace while i adore to participate in events that are full of drama or exciting i crave order and peace in my personal relationships, things get chaotic from time to time and they are dealt with when they raised but there is no need to bring anymore chaos into my personal life.

Is not necessary to make big changes right away, for me it has been a long road to find mysellf here, it started with minor changes then major ones like quitting smoking at age 24 and then drinking. I never did it for health or vanity, it was simply because i was tired of treating myself badly, is in funny we are great at nurturing others but terrible at nurturing ourselves? self compassion is a very difficult thing but is the best gift you can give yourself and to the ones close to you.

So what is it?
With me started with one word " enough" as in I am enough and i had enough, i am very glad i been journaling since the age of 12 is great to see the progression and also when i was ready i was able to see that sometimes i wasn't kind to myself, maybe i believed that i deserved it but it took one brave day to say enough, of course it was just the beginning, i took many steps back but just as many forward and that is what i needed, to just take the first step to accepting who i was.
So kindness start with you, you can't give what you don't have.

here is the actual entry of in my journal July 19, 2002 ( coincidentally is the year of my divorce)
"it's almost midnight, the clock is turning to the 19th day and today is the start, the beginning and it all start with a single word, enough.
I had enough of living my life complaining for what i don't have or what it should have been.
I's enough of me waiting for the perfect man, job, or my kids been at a right age to be fully happy and fulfilled.
It's enough with just what the universe has granted me
I am enough.
from this moment i promise to never compromise my life anymore.
I will respect me
I will believe in me
I will not compromise anymore
I will work had to accomplish the things i believe i can
I will not seek an easy way out
I will honor my believes
I will do what i takes.
Because I am worthy of a great life and all i need is he courage to take control of my life again".

Of course there were days that i cried after that entry but i went back over and over to it and i still do when i find myself at cross roads i go back to remind myself of the things that matter to me and also to avoid making the same mistakes.

Why am i sharing? i know there are some people out there that are having a hard time right now that need a friend, i want to extend my hand and say the same things i told myself almost 10 years ago, you are worth it, just have the courage to make the changes necessary to have the life that is meant for you, kindness starts with you.

11 comments:

Jeannie said...

Enjoyed reading your blog entry. Thanks for writing this. I said enough is enough a few weeks ago also. Being happy feels way better than feeling sad. The world looks so different.

Norma Bastidas said...

I love it Jeannie! I am glad that you are sharing this, happiness is a choice and I am glad you also realized that.
Norma

Auto Ac compressor said...

I wanted to thank you for this great post!! I enjoyed every little bit of it, I have you bookmarked and waiting for all the new stuff you post.

Tommy2504 said...

Hi Norma!

Your review has fascinated and moved me so much. It's unbelievable with how much passion and love you follow your goals and how you changed your life. With your kind you motivate so much people to the sport and to live healthy.
And i can just say Halle Berry isn't nearly as beautiful as you. As i friend saw your picture he thaught that you are 28.
I wish you and your family always just the best.Stay as you are.
Greetings, Tommy.

Norma Bastidas said...

Thank you so much Tommy as usual you are an angel! hope to see you along the TransAlps race!

Tommy2504 said...

Thanks for your kind words Norma.
Of course i will stay the whole week at the Transalpine-Run to support and cheer you.

IHellaLoveRunning said...

Interesting post. My fiance and I are happy together but our lives outside our relationship drive us crazy, jobs, people around us, among other things. We to have had to come to a place, or are trying to come to that place that we move forward with positive change by saying enough of the old and start some new. Glad to have come across your blog.

Journey Home said...

My sister just told me about you and your story. I have been going through depression and after she told me about your story I am now inspired to start running and take better care of myself. I remember what it used to feel like when I used to exercise. I think it's great what you have done! I look forward to your future posts! :-)

Sandy

Norma said...

Hi Sandy and my running loving fanatic friend and everybody that has read this entry and it resonated with you. I didn't know what to say when i read your comments. they humble me. I talk a lot because I believe that sharing what ever little piece of information that has helped me along the way might mean that somebody else will have an easier time navigating the fantastic but also confusing maze that is life. I am glad that i can bring some comfort, once you commit there is not turning back, we are in it together for the long haul. If we support one and other we can make great things happen.

Norma

Accord 2013 said...

Wow, it is so nice and interesting blog. I like it so much

Anonymous said...

this doesn't do anything with Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see