Sunday, September 18, 2011

TransAlps race report

TransAlps Race

Just got back form TransAlps race. It was a race to remember.
I arrived in Kempen Germany a few days before the race; I was to meet my teammate for the first time in his hometown before heading to the race about 7 hrs away. I lot of people warned me against running such a grueling race with a stranger, even one of the race organizers wanted to make sure I understood that it was risky since on such events even the best of friends have disagreements. Even though I had a couple of minor problems with my teammate before the race I decided that since we had talked about expectations, I wasn’t fast, that he could do better if he wanted to place. My teammate said, “You have endurance, that’s all that matters.” So how bad could it be?

I loved Germany, people are friendly and everybody welcome me warmly, we did a couple of interviews, my teammate was know in his small town for having won the worlds triathlon for his age group a few years back as well as wining local races.
Problems really began once we started on the road to the race, I seemed whiny when I complained of long drives with just water and eating snacks, I have been know to be very cranky if don’t eat well, I really dislike junk, I crave kale and other veggies and salivate at the thought of quinoa with beans and nuts.

The race began at Oberstdof, Germany on Sat 3th, Stage one was a gentle 27.2 K with 1806 of elevation gain and 1496 of elevation lost finishing in the town of Hirschegg, Austria. I felt great that day, running hills has never been my strength and that day was no exception, when my teammate saw me run up hill for the first time he had the look of a man who just saw his girlfriend for the first time without her Victoria Secret’s push up bra, a bit disappointed. But on the downhill we caught up and finish a strong 31st team, now since I have run with some of the people on the race I knew that finishing 31st was a dream.

Stage 2 was a grueling 53.2K with 2481M of elevation gain and 2913M of elevation loss, I felt OK but for some reason I wasn’t as fast a s the day before, my legs where tired but on a long day especially so early on the race slowing down wasn’t too bad, it ended in Schruns, Austria.

Stage 3 was delayed due to bad weather and the stage was re routed but still was 43K long; I had a hard time, the wind the rain. Many people would quit these day, including Spain’s elite mountaineer Edurne Pasaban. We arrived cold and tired to Switzerland. We been camping and cabin fever was taking place significantly now, the excitement of the race was now over and the reality that we still had 5 more days of these was starting to weight in my teammate, he was unhappy and there was no holding back.

Stage 4 was 39.9K long with 2339M of elevation gain and 27M of elevation loss, the weather was milder but I felt tired and my stomach hurt like somebody punched me hard, it hurt to breath, I stayed behind with a group and that’s where I realized that a lot of people where feeling the same, some of the people on the back had done TransAlps before and place quite well but for some reason a lot of us feel sluggish and incredibly tired. The two Americans I was talking to both partners were out and were now on their own, slow but on their own, I tasted freedom,” you mean I can do that?” they say sure, a lot of team had now split for many reasons. My teammate caught up to me and I mention that we could do that, I said, “I know you been unhappy and that you where talking about how hard it was to go slow since you are use to running fast, I have a solution, we can become solo and we go our own place” this is what I said, I swear that you would have thought that I said “ you know teammate the girls and I where noticing how small your feet are, and you know what they say!” All the passive aggressiveness was now gone and it was full blown argument. He flipped.
Now, I usually keep details out of my blogs, I had a similar incident while climbing, is the very nature of doing something physically demanding and having different personalities causes frictions every time. I have thought about the incident many times, is not the argument is the words are spoken while angry that matter at the end. He called me a liar and a pretender, that stung, that if he had know that I was such a terrible climber as well as a slow runner he would never have asked me to come, I didn’t want to run the race with a stranger, I said no for about 6 months, repeatedly telling him that there were many better runners than me, but he didn’t want to hear it,” you have endurance, that’s all that matters” he said. Eventually I said yes, after all it was TransAlps race and I have always wanted to run it.

Later I found that he had heard about me through an article at Runners World magazine, unknown to me. The article refers to me as an elite ultrarunner, that’s why I shun the world athlete when talking about me, I am average at best and I don’t mind it one bit. I am average on a not so average group, the ultrarunners. I was ready to pack and go home, except for feeling lousy that day, I thought we where doing great, I recognized a lot of the runners and knew it was a very elite group, plus yelling at your teammate on day 4 of 8 days was a bit premature, like yelling at your pregnant wife for being the fattest at the delivery room, long ways to go I thought. I didn’t take it lying down, the old me would have try to smooth it over and try to get thought, now I didn’t put up with it one bit. Eventually I told him that it was possible to finish as a team but we could never be friends afterwards. Advise to guys, in an argument, stick to the issue; this is not the time to tell her that you hate her mother as well. We arrived In Scuol, Switzerland second last and I moved to camp with the other runners and left him to car camp with his friend.

Stage 5 was a short day, 6K but vertical, the nice thing was that we not only got to sleep in a bit, we also stayed at the same town for a couple of nights, it was nice to have some time to sightseeing. It was a great day for my teammate; he was able to run hard like he had wanted, I felt better now that I was able to sleep and eat when I wanted, car camping with my teammate and his friend meant that I had to ask when I needed something, and often I had to wait until they where ready to help me.

TransAlps organizers and volunteers are among the best I have seen. They accommodated our needs fast and without a hassle, not easily done when you have such large group but it always felt like a local 5k to me not like the large elaborate event like it was.

The next few stages where my favourite, I was now feeling stronger and healthier, it still hurt to breath deeply but it was not as strong, I started to take Ginko Biloba, something that I use when I mountaineer, it suppose to help with altitude, Stage 6 was 37K and 1332M elevation gain and 1474 of elevation loss, we where now running up one mountain, the past stages we had to run up two or three, and the downhill was dreamy, I have always loved running downhill, is my favourite, is like dancing, by now my teammate was starting to feel fatigue, and I was feeling better, I could see the face of disappointed when I caught up to him quickly, the downhill was 16K, we later laughed because he was actually begging for an uphill so I could slowdown, he run downhill well but he was far from light. All I could think when I heard the pounding was” ouch, he will hurt tomorrow” this stage was also the most beautiful. We entered Italy though a canyon. These are the moment where I feel, this is why I do it, not the version of non runners, the addiction, the runners high, so many times I have wish for a runners high, no luck, mostly is painful but if you let go and relax then something happens, after so many days of being in pain and having everything hurt, it didn’t, I felt great, running to feel better after being sore from running, too long, like drinking alcohol to cure I hangover I thought.
The body is a wonderful machine, it will adapt to the changes and excel, we don’t stop exercising because we are to old, we grow old because we stop exercising.

Stage 7 was the stage that I feared the most, we had to climb to over 3000M that day, I hardly slept fearing timing out. We started in Mals at 8am as usual. That day more people quit, the leading Salomon ladies, quit because of injury I was told, also many people simply couldn’t face one more long day and simply walked away, there are never right or wrongs, we all reach different breaking points. It was not mine yet. You have no idea ho wit felt to stand on top of that big mountain with plenty of time to spare, and nothing but downhill ahead, I caught up to my teammate and decided on the plan to run without stopping on the last aid station and run straight to Schanders.

With stage 7 behind and only stage 8 to finish, I felt pretty confident about finishing as long as we didn’t fall and break anything. At only 30K and 1700 it was a fast day, by now the pain was completely gone and I could take full breath, no more painful shallow breaths. The climb went fast and stayed with my partner most of the time or not far behind, by now I was observing other people around me to figure out the best way to go up and realized that the best runners where hunched over when climbing, I became the Hunchback of Notre Dame and climbed faster than I had, finally I was getting a hold of things and it was my last day, the excitement, the beauty of the mountain, I run the hardest I have run in a while, I guess you can say I experience the runners high, I was 100% taken by that moment, nothing else matter, not the early struggles, the pain, nothing, I felt completely taken by that moment. We run that day the best we had done, 272K. I think we all operated on a high that day, in spite of passing over 200 runners on the last 18k we still crossed the finish line 38th mixed team. I didn’t care one bit, I was happy to be there, to have done. My teammate was finally happy, I had run him into submission; finally he had a bit of what he had been searching on a partner. I cant help if he felt disappointed, if he looked at me and realized, that he was capable of doing the same things that I had done, that I was not extraordinary or especial. I didn’t feel regret or embarrassment, yes, he could do it, the only difference between him and I was that I HAD done it. You know when people said that they hate certain painter’s work because it looks like something they could do? Well, you didn’t and that’s the difference. That what I teach my kids, the world belongs to the once that dare, talent is nothing if you are unwilling to do the work.

Everybody wants to learn a new language, very few people are willing to do what’s necessary to learn it, I speak three only because I am not afraid of making a fool of myself and I am willing to work hard.

I could show you lots of pictures of the race but there is one that I love the most, the one that will stay with me. Is the face of the last person to cross the finish line, the last person to complete the race, you can see the sweepers behind her, celebrating her, I stood there watching arrive, you could see she was using every ounce of energy and courage to continue, I saw her the day I got sick, she was struggling, a lot of us struggled one time or an other, for her, the struggle was daily but she continued, I had face a day where I didn’t know if I could do it and it was scary, she did the race everyday afraid yet she choose to continue and give her best anyway. I stood there yelling, “ you are amazing” and I meant it/ It’s a shame that some people will never learn that as much as I admire all the people that stood on the podium at the awards dinner, I admire people like her too, how could I be disappointed of anything Sure I came motivated and excited to train after all I want to see my best, what that is will not be up to me, if I go to my next race and I am the woman on the picture I hope you will know that I will feel noting more than amazing. Go and take chances, you can spend the rest of your life waiting for the right moment but maybe the right moment is now. Go and take chances, you can spend the rest of your life waiting for the right moment but maybe the right moment is now. fear can hold you back if you let it paralyze you or it could be the force that drives you, I can tell you that i fear more not trying that not succeeding.



Acabo de volver de la carrera TransAlps. Ha sido una carrera para recordar.
Llegué a Kempen Alemania unos días antes para encontrarme con mi compañero de equipo por primera vez en su ciudad natal antes de dirigirnos a la carrera alrededor de 7 horas de distancia. Muchas personas me advirtieron que no hiciera la carrera con un desconocido, especialmente una carrera agotadora y dificil como el TransAlps, incluso uno de los organizadores de la carrera quería asegurarse de que yo entendía que era arriesgado, pues en tales eventos, incluso los mejores amigos tienen desacuerdos. A pesar de que había un par de problemas menores con mi compañero de equipo antes de la carrera, decidí que ya que había hablado acerca de las expectativas, que no soy muy veloz, que incluso él podría hacerlo mejor si fuera con otra corredora. Mi compañero dijo: "Usted tiene la resistencia, que es lo que importa." Entonces, ¿que malo podía suceder?

Me encantó Alemania, la gente es amable y todo el mundo me dio una calurosa bienvenida,hicimos un par de entrevistas, mi compañero de equipo era conocido en su pueblo por haber ganado el triatlón mundos para su grupo de edad hace unos años, así como ganar carreras locales.
Problemas realmente comenzó una vez que empezamos en el camino a la carrera, a el le pareci un poco enfadosa cuando me quejaba de sed y hambre, si me conocen saben que me pongo de muy mal humor si no como bien, no me gusta la chatarra, me encantan los vegetales.

La carrera comenzó en Oberstdof, Alemania, el sáb 3 º, la primera etapa fue corta, solo 27,2 K, con 1.806 de subida y 1.496 de desnivel acabo en la ciudad de Hirschegg, Austria. Me sentí muy bien ese día, correr montañas nunca ha sido mi fuerza y ese día no fue la excepción, cuando mi compañero me vio correr cuesta arriba por primera vez, tenía el aspecto de un hombre que acaba de ver a su novia por primera vez sin su super sosten de Victoria Secret un poco decepcionado. Pero en el descenso nos pusimos al día y un final fuerte 31o equipo, ya que he corrido con algunas de las personas en la carrera asi que sabía que terminar 31 fue un sueño.

La etapa 2 fue un 53.2K agotador con 2481M de desnivel y 2913M de la pérdida de altura, yo me sentía bien, pero por alguna razón que no corri tan rápido como el día anterior, las piernas cansadas, pero donde en un día especialmente tan temprano en la carrera de desaceleración no fue tan malo, terminamos en Schruns, Austria.

La etapa 3 se retrasó debido al mal tiempo, pero todavía fue de 43K, tuve un momento difícil, el viento la lluvia. muchas personas abandonarían la carrera ese día, incluyendo la élite alpinista de España Edurne Pasaban. Llegamos con frío y cansado a Suiza. Estabamos acampando y ahora el estar durmiendo en un camper se estaba haciendo insoortable, la emoción de la carrera había terminado y la realidad de que todavía tenía 5 días más de ellos fue a partir del peso de mi compañero de equipo, no estaba contento y no había vuelta atrás.

Etapa 4 se 39.9K largo con 2339M de desnivel y 27 millones de la pérdida de altitud, el clima era más suave, pero me sentí cansada y me dolía el estómago como si alguien me hubiera golpeó duro, me dolía respirar, yo me quedé con un grupo y ahí es donde yo se di cuenta de que mucha gente se sientia igual, algunas de las personas en la parte posterior había hecho antes TransAlps e uncluso habian quedado en un lugar bastante bien, pero por alguna razón muchos de nosotros nos sentimos muy débil y cansados. Las dos estadounidenses que estaba conversando conmigo ese dia sus parejas estaban fuera y ahora, ahora corrian pos su propia cuenta .sentí el sabor de la libertad ", quiere decir que puedo hacer eso?", Dicen que, una gran cantidad de equipo se habían separado ya de muchos razones. Cuando alcanze a mi compañero le comente que podiamos corer individual: "Sé que estas frustado y que donde dijiste que era difícil que ir despacio ya que estas acostumbrado a correr rápido, tengo una solución, podemos llegar a ser solista y seguir a solas.", esto es lo que le dije, te juro que por la reaccion de el crearas que nos estabas riendo de el, comos si enlugar de eso le dije” Hey estabas comentando que tienes el pie chico y ya sabes lo que dicen! "Toda la agresividad pasiva se fue y todo el renconr salio a la superficie. por lo general trato de no hablar mucho de los detalles de mi blog, tuve un incidente similar cuando escale Mt McKinley, es la naturaleza de hacer algo físicamente exigente y con personalidades diferentes causas fricciones en todo momento.He pensado en el incidente en muchas ocasiones, no es el argumento son las palabras que se hablan con la cabeza caliente que al final cuenta. Él me llamó mentirosa y farsante, que si él hubiese sabido que yo era una corredora tan mala nunca me han pedido que venga, yo no quería correr la carrera con un extraño, le dije que no por unos 6 meses, en repetidas ocasiones le decía que había muchos corredores mejores que yo, pero él no quería oír ", que tiene resistencia, que es lo que importa", dijo. Finalmente le dije que sí, después de todo era la carrera deTransAlps y siempre la habia querido correr.

Más tarde me enteré de que había oído hablar de mí a través de un artículo en la revista Runners World, algo que no sabia .El artículo se refiere a mí como una ultra corredor élite, es por eso que no me gusta que me llamen atleta y menos elite, a mi me encant acorrer y participo en muchas carreras pero no soy de las mejores. Ese dia despues de el pleito, Yo estaba lista para empacar y regresar a mi casa, me senti mal ese día, además gritar a su compañero de equipo el día 4 de 8 días fue un poco prematuro, como gritarle a su esposa embarazada por ser el más gorda en la sala de partos, deje de corer y camine el resto de la carrera ese dia. Finalmente le dije que era posible correrla hasta el final como un equipo, pero nunca podríamos ser amigos después. Llegamos a Scuol, Suiza casi al último s y yo me mudamos al campo con los otros corredores.

Etapa 5 fue un día corto, 6K, pero vertical, lo bueno fue que pudimos dormir un poco, también nos quedariamos en la misma ciudad durante un par de noches, que era bueno tener algo de tiempo para hacer turismo. Fue un gran día para mi compañero de equipo, pudo correr duro como él quería, me sentía mejor ahora que yo era capaz de dormir y comer cuando quería, cuando acampaba con mi compañero y su amigo pedir Cuando necesitaba algo.
Los oganizadores deTransAlps y voluntarios son de los mejores que he visto. Nos falicitaban ayuda a nuestras necesidades rápidamente y sin ningún problema, no seria fácil de hacer cuando se tiene gran grupo tal, pero siempre me sentí como si estuviera corriendo una carreara local de 5k en lugar de una carrera tan elaborada como esa.

Las próximas etapas fueron mi favoritas, me estaba sintiendo más fuerte y saludable, aun así me dolía al respirar profundamente, me dolia menos, comencé a tomar Ginko Biloba, algo que uso cuando escalo, se supone que debe ayudar con la altitud , Stage 6 era 37K y desnivel 1332M y 1474 de la pérdida de altura, que donde ahora subiendo una montaña, las etapas anteriores tuvimos que correr dos o tres, y la bajada fue de ensueño, siempre me ha gustado correr en bajada, es mi favorito, es como bailar, por ahora mi compañero de equipo estaba empezando a sentir la fatiga, y me sentí mejor, pude ver la cara de decepción cuando me reuní con él rápidamente, el descenso fue de 16K, que más tarde se echó a reír, porque en realidad estaba pidiendo una cuesta arriba para que yo pudiera desaceleración, que correr cuesta abajo bien, pero estaba lejos de ligero. Todo lo que podía pensar cuando oí los golpes era "le va a doler todo hoy en la noche!", esta etapa fue también la más hermosa. Entramos en Italia a través de un cañón. Estos son los momentos donde me siento feliz, donde se porque me gsta tanto esto. no la versión de los no corren, que es adicción, no es una adiccion, es passion!, me empeze a sentí muy bien, despues de sentirme mal por corer tantos dias, lo que necesite fuen corer mas! como beber alcohol para curar la Resaca.
El cuerpo es una máquina maravillosa, que se adaptará a los cambios y sobresale, no dejamos de hacer ejercicio, porque estamos a los viejos, nos ponemos viejos porque dejamos de hacer ejercicio.

Etapa 7 fue el escenario que más temía, que teníamos que subir a más de 3000m de ese día, casi no dormía por temor a tiempo de espera. Empezamos en Mals a las 8 am como de costumbre. Ese día, más personas abandoraron la carrera, como el equipo femenino Salomon, debido a una lesión me dijeron, también muchas personas simplemente no podía soportar un día más largo y simplemente renunciaron ese dia, todos tenemos un punto de ruptura. No fue el mío todavía. No tienen n idea como me senti cuando puse pie en la cima de esa montaña grande, y lo que restaba de el dia era mi parte favorita, la bajada. me encontré a mi compañero corrimos el resto de la etapa sin parar hasta que llegamos a Schanders.

Con la etapa 7 y sólo detrás de la etapa 8 hasta el final, me sentí muy segura de terminar con tal de que no me cayera y me rompiera nada. En 1700 sólo 30K y fue un día mas facil, ya que el dolor había desaparecido por completo y pude recuperar el aliento completo, sin dolor. El ascenso fue rápido, los ultimo’s dias estuve observando a otras personas a mi alrededor para encontrar la mejor manera de ir hacia arriba y me di cuenta de que los mejores corredores se jorobaban al subir, me convertí en el jorobado de Notre Dame y subi más rápido los ultimo’s dias. El último día, la emoción, la belleza de la montaña se apodero de mi el100%. Me olvide de los pelitos el dolor, nada más importo,

Corrimoss ese díade lo mejor. Pero a pesar de pasar más de 200 corredores en los última 18k cruzamos la meta como equipo mixto 38. No me importaba lo más mínimo, yo estaba feliz de estar allí,. Mi compañero de equipo fue finalmente feliz,

Que lastima que el se sintio defraudo, decepcionado,el se dio cuenta de que él era capaz de hacer las mismas cosas que yo había hecho, que yo no era extraordinaria o especial. No me sentía remordimiento o vergüenza, sí, que podía hacerlo, la única diferencia entre él y yo era que yo ya lo había hecho. Usted sabe cuando la gente dice que odia el trabajo de pintor como picasso, ya que se ve como algo que podía hacer. Bueno, no lo hizo y esa es la diferencia. Les enseño a mis hijos, el mundo pertenece a los que se atreven ha vivir plenamente y no le tienen miedo al trabajo duro. el talento no es nada si no estás dispuesto a luchar duro.

Todo el mundo quiere aprender un nuevo idioma, muy pocas personas están dispuestas a hacer lo necesario para aprenderlo, hablo tres, porque yo no tengo miedo de hacer el ridículo, y estoy dispuesto a trabajar duro.

Podría enseñarte un montón de fotos de la carrera, pero hay una que más me gusta, la que va a quedarse conmigo. Es la cara de la última persona en cruzar la meta, la última persona en completar la carrera, se puede ver las barredoras detrás de ella, la celebración de ella, yo la vi llegar, con el rostro de determinacion y el coraje para continuar, yo la vi el día que no me senti bien, ella ya cansada, para mi solo fue un dia largo, para ella, la lucha era a diario, pero, continuó, ella decide continuar y dar lo mejor de ella de todos modos. Cuando paso frente a mi le grite, "eres increíble" y lo dije en serio /¿cómo puedo estar decepcionada si das lo mejor de ti que esperas ve I toma roesgos. Da lo mejor de ti no esperes. Puedes pasar el resto de su vida esperando el momento adecuado, pero tal vez el momento es ahora.

1 comment:

pg slot เว็บ ตรง วอเลท said...

pg slot เว็บ ตรง วอเลท บริการฝาก-ถอน PG SLOT เครดิตฟรี ฝาก true wall ที่รวดเร็ว ใช้งานง่าย และมีความเสถียรมากที่สุดในตอนนี้โปรโมชั่นมากมายสมาชิกสามารถทำรายการสมัคร PGSLOT